Are employee absenteeism and tardiness hurting your field services business? Excessive absenteeism damages morale as remaining employees are forced to pick up the slack of their missing coworkers. Tardiness can ruin your business's reputation as customers complain about delays. Here are seven ways to reduce absenteeism and tardiness at your business.
- Communicate your policy regarding absenteeism and tardiness. If you aren't clear about your expectations, you can't blame employees for falling short of them. Your employee manual should document company policies about calling in sick or coming to work late. Make sure employees know what to do if they are sick or running late, as well as the consequences if they exceed acceptable levels of absenteeism or tardiness.
- Monitor attendance. Employee scheduling solutions designed for field services businesses will help you stay on top of your team’s schedules. Lighthouse 360 makes it easy to view schedules any time, on your desktop or mobile device. See at a glance whether employees are where they're supposed to be and if they started work on time. If not, take action: Talk with those workers about the effect absenteeism or tardiness has on others in the company and let them know the consequences if their behaviors don’t improve.
- Offer incentives for attendance. Boost attendance and morale by offering prizes. Financial incentives such as bonuses or comp time off for perfect attendance or a 100 percent on-time record can motivate employees and help reduce absenteeism and tardiness.
- Schedule smart. Miscommunications can lead to unintended absences or tardiness. To make sure everyone on your team knows the schedule, use a scheduling tool with a mobile app, like Lighthouse 360. Employees can easily check their schedules on their smartphones and get updated information in real time, so there's no excuse for missing work or showing up late. Plus, you can include details about each customer’s job, location, supplies needed and more. When employees have all the information they need, they’re less likely to be late.
- Maintain a safe workplace. In any business where employees perform physical labor, the risk of injury is real. Injuries, chronic conditions or sprains, strains and pains can keep your employees off the job. Make sure your employees are trained in proper safety procedures and know how to perform their jobs in an ergonomic fashion so they don't hurt themselves.
- Stay on top of changes. In any field services business, jobs often run long or customers need to reschedule. But when schedules change, employees are sometimes left out of the loop. Prevent that with Lighthouse 360, which lets you send text messages to workers. The app pre-populates your text message with pertinent job information; you just customize it and hit Send. It's fast and easy.
- Be fair. Burnout is a major cause of excessive absenteeism and tardiness. Do you give your employees adequate sick days and enough time off? Overworked employees are more likely to play hooky, so make sure your team has adequate time for R&R.