As every electrician knows, word-of-mouth is one of the best ways to get new customers. Today, however, word-of-mouth takes place not only in person, but also online — and online reviews are one of your best weapons in beating the competition. (In one study, 84 percent of consumers say they trust online reviews as much as personal recommendations.) Here are five steps to help you get more online reviews for your electrician business.
- Make a good impression. The little things make a big difference when it comes to how customers perceive your electrician business. Is your work crew polite and professional? Do they clean up after themselves, or leave a mess behind? Did they show up on time, or arrive an hour late (with no apology)? Valuing your customer’s time and treating their home with respect are essential to getting good online reviews.
- Communicate clearly. Misunderstandings arising from poor communication often lead to negative online reviews. Be upfront and clear about everything from your project estimate and timeframe to what you will be doing each day. If you're unavoidably delayed in traffic, call the customer to let them know what's happening. If a missing part forces work to grind to a halt, talk to the customer and reschedule. If you have to buy more expensive piping, clear it with the customer first.
- Automate review requests. Have you ever forgotten to ask a customer to review your business? Of course you have. What with finishing the work, delivering the invoice and getting paid, reviews probably aren't the first thing on your mind when you complete a job. That's why it's smart to use a tool like Lighthouse Field Service to automate review requests. After every electrical job is finished, Lighthouse Field Service will automatically send the customer a thank-you note, along with a review request.
- Maintain your customer relationships. Even when you send a request, not every customer will write a review immediately. To earn good reviews later on, build strong customer relationships. Stay in touch by sending customers an email newsletter or emailing special offers from time to time. Don't have a way with words? Then use Lighthouse Field Service to connect with customers. It provides tons of pre-written email templates created by professional writers. Just review them, customize them with your own information and hit send.
- Share your reviews. Did you get a good online review? Share it on social media. Lighthouse Field Service updates your social media pages for you, automatically adding online reviews that are in its system. Your customers will feel proud to see their positive review promoted online — and their friends will feel confident choosing an electrician recommended by someone they know.
Although the average customer only reads 10 online reviews before forming an opinion of a business, that doesn't mean you can get 10 reviews and then stop. Consumers want to see current reviews—not ones from last year—so you need to maintain a steady supply of new reviews. Fortunately, with Lighthouse Field Service that's simple to do.